Friday, January 27, 2023

Peter Ryan - candidate for ABC Staff Elected Director

Dear ABC colleagues

As many would be aware, I’m seeking endorsement as the MEAA’s candidate for the position of Staff Elected Director on the ABC Board.

I’m proud to be doing this with the encouragement of friends and long-time colleagues I deeply respect.

MEAA members can vote here now by clicking https://abc-meaa.carrd.co/

Don’t delay. You only have until 11.59pm AEDT on Sunday 29 January to have your say.

I have not taken this decision lightly given the enormous responsibilities and am asking you to consider endorsing my candidacy for the following reasons:

·       It’s important to back a person who knows how to argue for ABC staff – and I’ve represented you over many years as your elected MEAA Federal Councillor and on the ABC National House Committee

·       While I am known for being an experienced “voice of reason”, I also see through corporate spin and will be a forceful voice for ABC staff right around the country

·       I work at the frontline across the range of ABC programs and report on the big economic issues like inflation and rising interest rates that go directly to pressures on every household

·       We need a content maker and not a manager appointed to this important role – so vote for me

·       I’ve worked across different state, national and international levels at the ABC and understand all the platforms – radio, TV, social, digital and online

·       I will represent all staff equally – not the interests of one program, state or territory

Colleagues - if you’re not an MEAA member, please consider joining so your voice is heard.

For members of the CPSU reading this, I am also a member as part of my commitment to represent the best interests of all ABC staff – regardless of affiliation or union membership.

See below for my full candidate statement.

Thanks for your consideration.

 



The ABC is a national treasure which needs to be protected and nurtured as the global media landscape continues to challenge traditional public broadcasters around the world.

My love of the ABC and the many opportunities it has provided during my long career is why I am nominating for the role of Staff Elected Director on the ABC Board.

As a joint union member belonging to MEAA and CPSU, I would be honoured to represent all ABC staff right around the country to not only be the voice of fellow workers but to ensure the big issues are fully debated within the confidence of the ABC Boardroom.

I am particularly concerned about:

·       Pushing for better wages and conditions for ABC staff to ensure greater productivity is fully recognised especially with pressures from the higher cost of living hurting every household

·       Advocating greater diversity and inclusion right across the ABC – ensuring access to childcare, leave entitlements and career development is provided to all

·       Working to bridge the gender and cultural pay gap

·       Ensuring the ABC remains independent and fearless – that we are properly funded, commercial free and able to fulfil our Charter

This agenda needs to be driven from the top – not just in tone – but in policies that are tangibly reflected across the workplace whether that is in recruitment, gender diversity, cultural diversity and how that is reflected in the ABC’s programming.

 

MY BACKGROUND

Importantly, I believe my skills would bring an extra layer of real-world media experience to the ABC Board direct from the frontline where squeezed resources don’t always match the demands for greater output.

My extensive coverage of the Financial Services Royal Commission gives me a special insight into the issues of boardroom governance, transparency and legal responsibilities in major institutions that are relevant to the Staff Elected Director position.

As a senior ABC journalist, I have had the privilege of reporting and analysing major issues that go to the heart of governance and transparency at the ABC - including the events of 2018 that resulted departures of chief executive Michelle Guthrie and chairman Justin Milne.

It is important that the ABC continues to build and enhance its hard-earned reputation and to ensure that all efforts are made to secure appropriate funding that provides long term certainty for the organisation.

My ability to report the big issues that shape our society allowed me to cover widespread worker underpayments in Australia - including those the ABC self-reported which resulted in a $600,000 “contrition payment” agreed with the Fair Work Ombudsman.

My responsibilities as Staff Elected Director would be enhanced by my experience of working with a wide range of staff ABC staff beyond journalists alone - as Washington Bureau Chief, an ABC senior executive as Head TV News & Current Affairs in Victoria, an Executive Producer, Business Editor and currently ABC Senior Business Correspondent. 

My ABC journalism has been honoured by a Walkley Award, two Kennedy Awards, National Press Club Financial Journalist of the Year (2012/2019) and two Citi Excellence in Journalism awards.

In addition to being a member of the MEAA Federal Council, I am a member of the ABC National House Committee and a Trustee of the NSW Journalists Benevolent Fund which confidentially assists media workers who fall upon hard times.

In 2022, I was awarded the Order of Australia medal (OAM) for services to the broadcast media as a journalist.

I joined the ABC in 1984 and after two long incarnations, I have notched up around 35 collective years with roles in Melbourne, Sydney, Darwin and Washington – a career of experience and passion that positions me well to make a big difference on the ABC Board.

While the ABC is a great institution, it’s far from perfect and can only be improved by a louder voice from staff on the Board.

 

 

Peter Ryan

27 January 2023







No comments:

Post a Comment

What's your view on this?